Friday, June 23, 2006

This is the modern world

"We know these close ties are what people depend on in bad times," she said. "We're not saying people are completely isolated. They may have 600 friends on Facebook.com [a popular networking Web site] and e-mail 25 people a day, but they are not discussing matters that are personally important."

I totally agree with this article, but I'm also old and set in my traditional, untechnological ways. Are people obsessed with Friendster, MySpace, and Facebook tapping into some wellspring of good feeling and friendship over broadband cables that I cannot possibly fathom? I doubt it! I guess it's better than turning to hard drugs, or joining a cult.

2 Comments:

At 23 June, 2006 13:24, Blogger AntFarm16 said...

Webb, you spent about 2 years trying to get me to join Friendster.

The modern world ironically seems to involve shutting ourselves off to information even as we're taking so much more in. Breadth trumps depth in this day and age.

What do we call these post "generation Y" automatons, anyway? Is there a name for 'em? Let's get rid of 'em. They're ruining the beauty of thought.

Ever read the Shel Silverstein poem about Jimmy Jett and his TV set? Perfect metaphor.

 
At 26 June, 2006 15:20, Blogger Chris said...

It's true that I'm a member of both Friendster and MySpace, but I'm not one of the people who obsess over them (although it's true that I once did, which is why I tried to get you to join it), and there are quite a few who do. For a lot of people, it seems to me that how they present themselves in cyberspace is as important as how they present themselves in person. I quit both Friendster and MySpace for a little while; I rejoined MySpace because I was bored at work, and there's a lot in terms of new music on there; I rejoined Friendster recently because Gretel wanted to try to meet more people in southern Florida, so I thought I'd help her out with more connections. At any rate, I'm just bemoaning the fact that it seems to me that a lot of people take F'ster and MySpace fairly seriously, and I think that's pretty dumb.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home