Thursday, May 04, 2006

Judging a CD by its cover and band name

Every now and then I'll go nuts and buy a CD because the album cover is interesting or the band name is whacked. It happened in NYC with Hockey Night (which turned out to be a fine album, strangely enough) and it's happened here in Boston with Munly & the Lee Lewis Harlots. Although I have to admit I listened to a little of it at the Virgin Megastore's listening station, it's nothing compared to listening to the entire album, which is totally engrossing. The ghastly American Gothic themes this guy has in his lyrics are oddly compelling (more than once I thought, "Did he just sing what I think he sang?"). The storytelling combined with the bluegrassy strings and lady backup singers make this a thoroughly enjoyable album. I'd write a complete review of it...but I think this and this review pretty much nail it. Still have to watch the accompanying DVD, which has music videos for these songs. That ought to be interesting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home